Saturday, July 16, 2011

Should i be ashamed of my figure skating?

I'm 13 and I'm going to high school in the fall, and I haven't even landed my single axel. Everyone tells me it isn't my fault, because my mom hardly takes me skating while my friend who landed hers goes 5 times a week, i barely make 2 times a week. I started skating when I was 5, but after i got into Beta I moved and didn't skate again till i was 7. Then my mom stopped taking me a lot so I started again in about 6th grade. I actually started skating, though, in the middle of seventh grade (half hour private lessons with my coach, freestyle sessions for better skaters, and I was in freestyle 5). I've been working on axel for nearly a year, and I haven't landed it!!! I go about twice a week. On Wednesday, I skate for about half an hour, then do ballet for half an hour (we mostly stretch or work on balance, I'm not on pointe yet) then I skate for another half hour or hour. On Friday, I skate for about a half hour in the freestyle session for my level, then the public session for everyone for a half hour. I try to stretch at home and do off-ice also. Sometimes though my mom doesn't even take me these two days! I also haven't had a coach for a few months. I can do an ok-camel spin, my sit is very good on occasion but I often travel, an ok-backscratch that's kinda short though, and my other jumps are very good. I can do an outside spread eagle, bauer, Ina bauer where you lean back, and I'm the only one at my rink who can do an outside bauer, or perhaps even an Ina bauer, including the elite skaters. But still, should I be ashamed when skating in the freestyle session because I can't do any good jumps like axel and my spins aren't that great either and the only thing I can do is footwork? Please help I don't even like to practice the few times I do skate because I'm so ashamed compared to the other skaters:( Also, any tips on landing the axel? I used to be better when I had a coach I'd land in the landing position just need a quarter of rotation left, now I don't rotate all the way and just open my arms. EVERYONE tells me to keep my arms in and not be afraid, but I can't help it, they just fly out!!! I can do it fine off ice, I can even do double toe sometimes off ice. PLEASE HELP!:((

No comments:

Post a Comment